Can you celebrate the holidays and work to fight climate change at the same time? Absolutely! Below we have listed our best tips for gifts with low carbon emissions. Reducing the number of gifts, giving a climate-friendly experience, or mutually agreeing that all gifts are to be bought secondhand this year is a great way to reduce the climate footprint of giving gifts to loved ones.
1. A GoClimate gift card
Give your loved ones the gift of a healthier planet! Try out our climate gift card and contribute with climate finance to speed up the transition to a more sustainable society.
2. Time together
Probably the most valuable thing we have today; time! Invite over for dinner or plan an adventure. Probably the thing they want the most – the opportunity to spend more time with you.
3. The card playing game Climate Call
Does a transatlantic flight have a bigger climate impact than eating steak every day for a year? Players of Climate Call get to learn how the climate is affected by our everyday actions. The game is guaranteed to spark a lively discussion!
3. A book
Reading is a wonderful and easy way to enter new worlds, experience and learn great things or just take your mind of the everyday life for a while. Maybe you have a pocket version of your favourite book at home, and you’re ready to pass on this story to someone else? Also, second hand stores are full of great books!
4. Inspiration to cook more vegetarian or vegan food
A perfect gift for someone who wants to cut down on their meat consumption, is a subscription to a vegan or vegetarian food magazine, a vegetarian cooking class or subscription to a vegetarian or plant-based food box!
5. Buy something pre-owned or choose something from home that you no longer use
Make an agreement with friends and family that this year’s gift exchange will consist of second hand presents only. The climate footprint of a pre-owned gift is basically zero.
7. Homemade baked goods – bring out your inner master chef!
TIPS FOR THE BEST HOLIDAY GIFT GAME EVER!
If you love the idea of mountains of nicely wrapped presents, introduce a new tradition that can give you lots of gifts – or none at all..! Try out this holiday gift game where everyone contributes with 1-2 gifts (all pre-owned, of course). Follow the instructions below.
- Gather arouand and put all the gifts in the centre.
- Bring out a dice.
- Each participant rolls the dice. When getting a 1 or a 6, that player can choose a present from the pile. Continue until there are no gifts left.
- Open the gifts you won (if you did win any).
- Now the fun begins. Set the time for 5-10 min depending on how long you want to keep going. Then put away the timer so no one sees how much time is left.
- Start rolling the dice again. Now you get to take someone else’s present every time you hit a one or six. When the timer rings, the game is over and you can keep all (or no) gifts that you have managed to collect.